Our founder, Frank Lawrence Silva began his career in the wholesale business as a salesman for the Luzianne Coffee Company, whose route included the lower St. Bernard and Plaquemine Parishes. As the population increased in the early 1940’s so did the need for other products. So began his venture into tobacco, candy and sundries. When his son, Frank Louis Silva, Sr. returned home from the war, they turned an old garage on Alabo Street in the Historic Holy Cross district of New Orleans into their first warehouse. That was the beginning of Frank Silva and Son, Inc.
In 1968, Frank Silva, Jr. joined the company and soon took over the helm. Following his father’s death in 1978, it became apparent that the company was outgrowing their small warehouse and expanded to the property next door. Within 10 years it was becoming obvious that it was time to expand again so a new and more modern warehouse and office space was in the works. By the early 1990’s the operation moved to their new location on Parc Place in Chalmette, Louisiana. Always expanding, Mr. Silva bought property next door and across the street in order to accommodate the ever growing needs of their customers.
The years 1996 and 2002 brought in the 4th generation of Silvas to join the company. Elizabeth Silva Congemi and Michael Louis Silva, Sr. fresh out of college joined the company and are currently running the daily operations under the watchful eye of their Father.
“Steady as she goes” was Mr. Silva’s favorite saying. But that was not to last for long. On August 29, 2005, Hurricane Katrina destroyed the entire operation pouring 17 feet of water into the warehouse and office and ruining an entire fleet of trucks. But the Silva Family bounced back and by October had rented a new location and were back in business. By March of 2007 their present location in Harvey, Louisiana was completed, bigger and better than ever…never looking back!